top of page

What is the Difference Between a Road Occupation Permit and a Memorandum of Authorisation?

Updated: Nov 28, 2022

There’s a whole host of reasons why individuals or organisations need to change typical traffic conditions in an area to get something done. Sometimes it’s for a one-off single-day event (like a fundraiser or a large outdoor festival), and other times it’s to carry out construction work – which could take anywhere from half a week to three years, depending on the project.

As such, there are different kinds of paperwork involved depending on the nature of your project and traffic management needs. The difference between a Road Occupation Permit and a Memorandum of Authorisation is subtle, but important.

Road Occupation Permit vs. Memorandum of Authorisation

Road Occupation Permits are required under local council laws and the Road Management Act for anyone carrying out works within a road reserve. These works include the construction, alteration or maintenance of:

  • vehicle crossings

  • vehicle crossing laybacks

  • kerb and channel

  • vehicle crossing culverts

  • water, sewerage, power and stormwater connections

  • temporary vehicle crossings

  • road and footpath occupation for works

  • trees and plantations

As for the Memorandum of Authorisation, here is VicRoads’ explanation of when you would require a MoA:

“You will need a Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) permit from VicRoads to manage traffic and install temporary traffic control devices at a worksite or event such as fun runs, filming or street markets on a freeway or arterial road.”

You may also be required to pay the Road Occupation Charge

In July 2020, the Victorian Government’s Department of Transport introduced a road occupation charge for the use of space by construction companies and other private parties on arterial roads.

It was implemented as a way to reduce traffic congestion in inner-city Melbourne by charging private parties a fee to occupy arterial roads for private use. It applies to 121 inner-city Melbourne arterial roads extending from Beaumaris to Glenroy, and Balwyn North to Kingsville. The charge is calculated based on a “per lane per day” rate, depending on the specific location.

BBC Traffic can help you acquire the required permits for your traffic control needs

The qualified team at BBC Traffic has years of industry experience applying for ROP’s and MoA’s of all shapes and sizes, for a wide range of individuals and organisations with varying purposes. Whether you require assistance with permit acquisition, traffic control equipment hire or 24/7 emergency traffic management services, call BBC Traffic today.


bottom of page